Sunday, September 22, 2013

First Day Of Fall


Today is the first day of Fall and it has been a very pretty day. I did not need to turn on the air conditioner. Still working on my  Aran sweater I had the ribbing for the back and the first 3 rows done last night but it was looking bad, so I ripped it out and started over. I sent an email to Karen the lady teaching the sweater class. She email me today and said she could met me on Tuesday to help with the increase and I am hoping the first 2 or 3 rows, maybe just the first two. This coming week is Banned Book Week. The reason for bringing this up is because this past week here in Randolph County located in what some people consider the great state on North Carolina, the state in which I live  and I am becoming increasingly embarrassed  to admit that I live here.  The Randolph County School Board by a 5-2 margin voted to ban and remove all the copies of Invisible Man, by Ralph Ellison from all Randolph County school libraries. The book was one of three rising Randleman High School juniors could choose for summer reading for the 2013-14 school year. A parent complained about the book. This lead to a committee to met, the committee recommend not to ban the
book, but that fell on deaf ears. The book was banned. Apparently this did not go over well with a lot of people in the community and I think the Randolph school parents. Because in an article in Friday's issue of The Courier-Tribune it was announced that a special board meeting will be held September 25 concerning the book. I hope in the end they will decide not to ban the book. I have not read the book but since the board decided to ban the book and all the uproar, I decided to read the book, and apparently I am no the only one. I plan to start reading tonight. This book is not to be confused with The Invisible Man, by H. G. Wells, I admit that was my confusion at first. I had never heard of the book before the article about the ban. So this parent who wants to get a book banned has done a great thing and that is to get people reading again. I am sure all the teenagers that can no longer read book will try and find a way to read it even if the have to go behind their parents backs.

    

No comments: